Friday, August 29, 2008

My New Job

Coming back to California, I knew I had to get a job right away. The biggest red flag indicator of this need was the five dollar balance I had in my checking account. I have never had trouble finding a job, so as I started my search, I was confident I would get a job within the day or two.

I began applying everywhere. I applied at banks, Barnes and Noble, bike shops, sporting good stores, Hallmark, and schools for autistic children. Nothing sounded promising. Every store said, "We're hiring in a few weeks." But I need something now.

The next day, I got a blessed phone call from a store that sells educational supplies. However, when the owner came to the knowledge that I am getting married mid-December, she immediately told me that her business and my wedding just wouldn't mix. Dead end.

Nothing else came about. For a week and a half I kept calling back, going back in, being persistent. Every job that turned me away brought tears to my eyes. By this past weekend, I even stooped to applying at Target, although the irregular hours turned me away, but I was getting desperate.

I also just started asking everyone I know if they knew of anywhere I could get a job. Everyone drew blanks. That is, until Sunday.

A family that I had stayed with in April told me that friends of theirs were hiring -- for a Monday-Friday, 9-5 job. They called them for me, and the next day, the owners of DepoBook called me and scheduled an interview with me at noon that day. Two hours later, I had a job with DepoBook, a court reporting service.

I started my job on Wednesday, and I love it! I spend time taking online orders and making up invoices, and doing billing of the depositions to attorneys across the country. Plus it's full time, no nights, weekends, or holidays. I haven't done much clerical work except for my own reasons, but I am loving it so far. It is great to be out of food service and having a real job! It was also definitely beneficial to ask everyone I know about jobs. Networking is a key tool, and I am so grateful for this job!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congrats! That's awesome. That is exactly what you wanted. I am sure you'll do great!

Jess(ica) said...

Sounds like a cool job!! And "Hooray" for not having to work food service!!!