Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Chicken Recipe

I've been doing my best to cut out breads, rices, and pastas. It's been difficult. But with it has come a fun challenge of:
a) Getting to know and love my vegetable friends without pounds of rice!
b) Learning new recipes that do not have rice/bread/pasta or can be eaten without it as a side

My sister bought me a subscription to Fitness Magazine for Christmas and last month's issue included this recipe I'm about to share. I was really excited when I saw it because it looked delicious!! After trying it tonight, I have to also say that it tastes delicious! It has incredible flavor, great texture, and the chicken is moist but not too moist. I give it about 4.5 stars. My changes to the recipe ingredients will be in bold next to the original instructions. Let me know what you think!

Spring Chicken:
Lemon-Thyme Chicken with Sauteed Vegetables

You will need....

  • 4 tablespoons lemon juice (I used a little extra throughout the recipe, perhaps 5-7)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (2 tablespoons) 
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (2.5-3 tablespoons)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 pound chicken breast tenders, pounded (approximately 8 strips)
  • 4 teaspoons canola oil (olive oil)
  • 1 medium, sliced shallot
  • 1.5 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed (2 cups)
  • 1.5 cups grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 medium zucchini
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta (1/2 cup)

  1. In a ziploc bag, combine 3 Tbs (5 Tbs) lemon juice, 2 teaspoons each of garlic and thyme (2 Tbs thyme, 1.5 Tbs garlic). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chicken tenders, seal the bag and gently turn to coat. If you have a little extra time, let the chicken marinate for 30+ minutes.




  2. Heat 2 tsp canola oil (olive oil) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot, remaining garlic, edamame and tomatoes; saute 4 minutes.



3. Use a vegetable peeler to slice zucchini (and squash) into long ribbons. Add zucchini (and squash) and remaining lemon juice and thyme to vegetables in skillet. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, stir in feta. Set aside.


4. Add remaining oil to skillet. Remove chicken from marinade and saute 2-4 minutes a side or until cooked through. Serve with vegetables.




Approximate nutrition facts: 327 calories, 28 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 13 g fat (3 saturated), 5 g fiber. Recipe makes approximately 4-5 servings.

Photobucket

No comments: