Sunday, December 21, 2008

I have a million things to write...

So I just got married 9 days ago. So, between the wedding day, the honeymoon, and the reception next week, I have a million things to write. So I think I'm going to plan on just little sections at a time to make it a little easier on me, partly because I don't have the time to write a book right now, and also because I don't think anyone will want to read all of my long, week-long journey in one sitting. I'm going to do a short installment on the wedding day (because it actually wasn't as eventful as I thought, but there are lots of stories from the honeymoon!) but the longer portion of this post will be on the first day or two of the honeymoon. The length will be dependent upon how much free time I have before Paul is done cleaning up and we start a movie:) Also, for some reason, blogger is cutting off the pictures, so you'll have to click on them to see the full picture.

Part 1: Friday morning, December 12, 2008 -- The Wedding Day

I've been to this nail place dozens of times. I have never had a problem. But, of course, that beautifully thin, french tip acrylic nail had to break right off -- on my ring finger, no less, half an hour before we left to drive to Oakland. Something had to go wrong, right? I guess that shouldn't have surprised me, and as angry as I was then, I have to say I'm glad it wasn't that the tire popped or something. It could have been worse.

The wedding was short, and we soon were outside, ready for the onslaught of photos. Here are a few of my favorites...

Everyone who was there that day.

All the siblings.

Isn't he cute?:)

This is where Paul proposed to me on April 17.

Just one of my favorites:)

This is the picture we're using for our wedding favor on Saturday:)

It was a really great day. After we froze for about two hours taking pictures, Paul's family and my dad and stepmom and we headed over to an Italian restaurant for dinner. After that, it was time for the airport...

When we got to the airport and checked our bags, we headed over to go through security. I've never had the least bit trouble going through, but this time, the buzzer sounded when I walked through the security door. She had me step through a few times before giving me a look and putting me into what was literally a glass box in the middle of the room. So I'm standing there, so embarrassed and about to cry, and I'm trying to tell her it's because I have 100 bobby pins in my hair (that's a large hunk of metal!) She just radioed for backup and asked that another person come help. So then she started the pat down and I guess I'm just lucky she didn't make me take all of those pins out, because, as we found out later that night, it takes about 30 minutes to get them all out.

The next morning, this was the view from our hotel room in San Diego.

The white ship is the Carnival Elation, which is the cruise we went on :) Needless to say, we walked to the dock.

Before going to the dock at 1, we had some time to go to breakfast and walk around a bit. We went to Denny's and I think I had the best bacon I've ever had. Then we walked down the street a ways and went to an Italian Farmer's Market, where Paul bought me a nice bouquet of roses and daisies for only 7 bucks! (We're experiencing cheaper life already!)

By the time we got on our cruise, the dramamine we'd taken with breakfast at 1030 was starting to wear us down. After waiting an hour to go in our room, we laid down and took a two and a half hour nap. After that, we decided to explore the ship a little bit, and were shocked to find it was 930 already, but then Paul said that he remembered that other countries don't follow daylight savings time, which made ship time 830, but his cell phone said 930. That was kind of an interesting thing, because we were never sure whether to trust the phone or not. Wen went up to the spa area, and I found out that you could get a mini spa/facial/massage for 99 bucks. We thought that was reasonable so I made an appointment for 8am the next morning, and they said they would do wakeup calls at 730-45 the next morning, but they also warned that if I cancelled it would be a 50% charge due to it being in less than 24 hours.

That night, we went to bed at 930. I guess the day before had been a long day or something?!

The next morning, I woke up and casually glanced at Paul's phone, only to have a heart attack when the phone said 840!! I jumped out of bed and put on some shoes and a sweatshirt, and started whining to Paul about the bad service, and how could they not call me, and I wasn't paying! I didn't brush my teeth, but just threw on my glasses and ran out the door up to the 12th floor. I rushed into the Spa area, and said, "Excuse me, I was supposed to have an appointment at 8, and they said they'd call me, but they never did..."

The lady said, "Oh, we're just doing the wake up calls now. We normally start them at about 745."

DUH. Ship time versus cell phone time. I felt dumb, but at least I hadn't been rude about it. I asked her if I could call my fiance (yeah I know, I totally didn't think about him as my husband yet) and let him know my appointment was just beginning...

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful until that evening, which was the Captain's Reception Dinner -- elegant night.

We decided to grab some virgin margaritas before heading to dinner (our dinner wasn't until 815... late for us early birds).

While at dinner, we noticed the waiters quietly singing the happy birthday song to a girl at a few tables away. When it came time for dessert, before we even ordered anything, our waiter brought us a little cake, so we assumed it was a congratulatory cake, and that would be it. Oh no no no...

"Excuse me everyone! Excuse me, quiet down please!" The waiter yelled. The restaurant with 500 people went silent. "Paul and Elizabeth are celebrating their honeymoon with us, and we have a tradition. When we start singing, they start kissing, but if they stop kissing before we stop singing, we start singing again!"

We were more laughing than anything. I was soo embarassed...

Anyway, that was the end of Sunday. Monday, we were going to Cabo San Lucas! Check back for another installment soon:)

No comments: