Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Soup

My sister told me about this recipe and, though I changed it a little bit from it's original over at How Sweet It Is, I have to now share my version of it with you!

The reason I changed it a little bit was ...
a) I felt the soup was too thin; I usually prefer creamier soups
b) it needed something other than chicken and onion!
c) it had way too much liquid (in my opinion)

So here you go! If you try it, please let me know what you think!

You will need...

~48 oz chicken stock
8-10 chicken tenderloins
3-4 oz heavy cream
1 chopped sweet onion
4 cloves garlic
1-2 cups rice
1 cup edamame or other vegetable
2 tablespoons flour
olive oil
1 cup+ buffalo wing sauce
2/3 cup fresh cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese (grated)

optional toppings: green onion, cilantro, or bread crumbs.

First, cook the chicken in a little bit of olive oil. You will need approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Add a little bit of salt and pepper to each side. After cooking, chop the chicken into very small bite size pieces (optional is to shred the chicken, but I'm not a fan.) Heat a large pot with olive oil, then cook the chopped onion for 4-5 minutes, until browned and soft, adding a little bit of salt. Then add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes. Next, add the flour, stirring in for an additional minute. Finally, add all other ingredients (chicken, chicken stock, buffalo sauce, heavy cream, and cheese) and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for 10-20 minutes on very low.

This picture doesn't do it justice, but it is delicious!


Bon Appetit!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jennifer Beard said...

That's my favorite food blog! And this soup is easily one of my top 5 favorite soups EVER! It's SO DELICIOUS!!!!!! I ate almost the whole batch myself.