Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chicken Satay

I know, I know ... I haven't posted a new recipe in over a month ... but... as I mentioned on a facebook status, I haven't been cooking as much. Between graduations, mothers' and fathers' days, weddings, hanging out with friends, as well as throwing random things together because I'm trying to use whatever I have before shopping too much more... I haven't been cooking 'real meals' much.

Here is a recipe I've been planning to cook for over two months now, but just now got around to making it. It's fairly simple, as long as you're not afraid of the barbecue! (or... if that guy you hang out with isn't...)

CHICKEN SATAY (Thanks to my sister, Rebecca)


Marinade/Sauce


6 cloves minced garlic
4 Tbs grated ginger (you can usually find it in a jar where the garlic is)
4 Tbs cider vinegar
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup Hoisin sauce (in Asian section of store)
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 Tbs peanut butter (smooth works better)
4 Tbs sesame oil (you can substitute veg oil, but the flavor of sesame is better)
2 Tbs honey
2 tsp crushed red pepper (or more to taste!)



(I didn't have any green onions on hand, so I used a white onion. I also went much lighter on the ginger ... neither Paul or I are a fan)

Instructions:
Mix the above together. Divide in two. Half will be used to marinade the chicken. Half will be heated and used as a sauce.
Marinade 6 boneless, skinless breasts (cut into 1-2 inch slices) for at least an hour. (I used chicken tenderloins because I personally think breasts are too dry no matter how you marinade them:)





Make sure to soak the skewers (if they are wooden) for at least a few minutes. Not a great picture but ... if you're planning to barbecue with wood, it's better if it is unlikely to catch on fire:)

Skewer marinated meat and grill on BBQ. Use extra marinade to baste chicken, but be sure that marinade thoroughly cooked with the meat!



I decided to use the opportunity to finish the squash and zucchini we had in the fridge. No marinade or salt beforehand. It came out great!



Heat reserved sauce. Serve chicken with sauce over rice. Grilled veggies and fresh tropical fruit round out the meal nicely.


Freezer instructions:
Make marinade/sauce and put half in a freezer bag with chicken. Put the other half in a quart-sized bag. Place both bags inside a 3rd bag and label. Allow meat/sauce to thaw completely before cooking.






Meanwhile, I readied some corn on the cob for Paul to barbecue. We like to cook our corn a healthier way - with olive oil and sea salt:) Use a silicone basting brush to put olive oil all over the corn pre-barbecue, and rub sea salt on the corn. Barbecue for approximately 8-10 minutes, over low flame.





I know that, according to the background, we look like white trash. Haha. BUT we are trying to be more green, and no one but us (and a few friends who come over occasionally) can see the money waiting to happen ... when we make it to the recycling center.


Yum! Served with rice and corn on the cob. Delicious!

No comments: